Both incoming freshmen and transfer students are accepted into the Jazzschool Institute based on the following:
- A completed application form including a personal statement outlining your past accomplishments, future objectives and how and why you believe the Jazzschool Institute will help you realize them.
- An official high school transcript for incoming freshmen; or an official college transcript for incoming transfer students. Please Note: All students must have a satisfactory academic record and have earned an overall GPA of 2.0 or higher to be admitted to the Jazzschool Institute. Tran- scripts should be sent directly to the Jazzschool Institute at the address below. Photocopies are not accepted. Also note: the Jazzschool Institute does not accept ability-to-benefit students.
- Two original letters of recommendation, one of which is from a professional musician and/ or music educator familiar with your work and professional objectives. Please note: photocopies are not accepted.
- A live audition. Students living more than 150 miles from the Jazzschool Institute may substitute a DVD of their playing in lieu of a live audition. (See Audition and Placement Exam).
- Results of the Ear Training and Sight Singing, Jazz Theory and Improvisation and English Composition Placement Exams. (See Audition and Placement Exam).
Please send all application materials along with a non-refundable $100 Application Fee to:
Office of Admission
2087 Addison Street
Berkeley, CA 94704
* Please note: all instruction at the Jazzschool Institute occurs in English; a high level of English proficiency is required for admission. A proficiency examination may be required for non-native speakers prior to enrolling.