About the Jazzschool Institute
History and Program
Founded in 2009, the Jazzschool Institute is a music conservatory offering the aspiring professional musician a progressive education and performance baccalaureate degree pro- gram in Jazz Studies.
The Jazzschool Institute is located in the historic Kress Building on Addison Street in the heart of the Downtown Berkeley Arts District. Part of the vibrant East Bay performing arts scene, the Jazzschool Institute is situated in close proximity to the Berkeley Repertory and Aurora Theatres, Freight & Salvage, and the world-class performing arts presenter Cal Performances at the University of California, Berkeley. Only half a block from BART, the Jazzschool Institute is easily accessible by public transportation and just 20 minutes away from San Francisco.
Under the umbrella of the Jazzschool, a nonprofit 501(c)(3) corporation, the Jazzschool Institute offers instrumentalists and vocalists a challenging core curriculum of performance, jazz theory and improvisation, ear training, composition, arranging, transcription and analysis, and music history courses taught by professional artists and educators in jazz and related styles of music. Rounding out the degree, additional required courses include the business of music, personal financial planning, music technology and pedagogy. These, along with a wide array of elective and general education courses, serve to prepare the aspiring professional jazz musician for a fulfilling career in the performing arts.
The Jazzschool Institute holds its students accountable to the highest artistic, academic and ethical standards at all times. Evaluation of students’ development is based on their performance in classes, juries and concerts and culminates in a Senior Project, a final concert open to the public, that includes a synthesis and demonstration of all of their artistic and academic work throughout the 4-year degree program.
- a synergistic, comprehensive jazz education and performance program for today’s professional jazz instrumentalist and vocalist
- small classes taught by professional artists and experienced educators in the field of jazz and related styles of music
- opportunities to study with preeminent visiting artists and educators
- performance opportunities at Yoshi’s, The Freight & Salvage and other prominent Bay Area venues; workshop opportunities with SFJAZZ resident and visiting artists
- opportunities to record, study and perform at the world-renowned recording facility Fantasy Studios
- access to important networking opportunities
- easy access to the San Francisco Bay Area’s thriving arts scene via public transportation
The Jazzschool Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It does not discriminate in the admissions process or in the awarding of financial aid on the basis of race, religion, sex, national origin, or disability.